History


Learn more about the history of St Clare’s School

1938

In 1932 Rev. Canon James of Newton invited the Sisters of St Clare from Newry, Northern Ireland, to open The Sacred Heart School, a secondary day school for girls in their new convent at The Clevis, Newton, Porthcawl. Sister Paul McNulty was appointed Head.

1942

New Head appointed – Sister Bernardine

1942

Pupil numbers swelled during the war years as evacuees joined the school as boarders

1952

New Head of Prep appointed – Sister Aquinas

1965

New Head of Prep appointed -Sister Agnella and new Head of Senior School,  Sister Imelda

1967

New Head of Prep appointed – Sister Angela (1967 – 2006)

1969

New Head of Senior School appointed – Sister Rose

1973

New Head of Senior School appointed – Sister Bernardine

1982

From 1982 onwards boys were admitted to the Senior School

1983

New Head of Senior School appointed – Sister Catherine

1991

New Head of Senior School appointed – Sister Mercedes

1990s

Boarding ceased

1992

New Head of Senior School appointed – Anne Jarrett

1999

New Head of Senior School appointed – Catherine Barnard

2006

In May 2006 the Sisters of St Clare took the decision to retire and the School was sold to Cognita Schools Ltd. The name became simply St Clare’s School.

2006

Catherine Barnard continued as Headteacher of St Clare’s School

2010

New Head appointed – John Aguilar

2012

New Head appointed – Simon Antwis